Thursday, February 5, 2009

My world, my father!

Those memorable days - some 25-30 years ago, in a small town called Madurai in India, where we used to live – a sweet family - my father (appa), mother(amma) and my cute li’l sister! I spent the first 17 years of my life in that town. My mom was a very dedicated, excellent, efficient home maker, who stayed at home to bring up my sister and myself, and take care of the family (There is a lot to write about Amma, my role model.. I will post the blog in next few days..). My father was a para-medical man, who worked for a pharmaceutical company. He would travel almost 20 days in a month. My father is extremely intelligent, very honest person, very sincere, hardworking, and god-fearing. He is a jack of all arts – may it be plumbing, or electrical, or electronic or gardening. More than anything, he is a very noble person. During the early years in his career, though he didn't make a lot of money, (in fact, what he earned earned was just enough to meet the day-to-day needs), my parents never compromised on the quality of our life and good education for me and my sister. Simple, contented, happy life. In summer every year, my parents would plan a vacation for a week, and we went to places like Kodaikanal, Yercaud, Thekkadi etc.. That was so much fun! After about 18 years in Madurai, his company transferred him to various states in India (Ahmedabad, Delhi, Mumbai..), and it was very challenging for us in the beginning. But, we soon got adjusted. Whenever we moved to a new place, the first month or two was hard. But, then we took it to our stride and settled down with ease.
He has come a long way... went through a lot of challenges and hardship, and all the his hard work paid off.. he came up very well in his career. It we was his positive spirits, cheerful mind and strong will power that he achieved all the success- both in his personal and as well as in his career path...Quite often people from our family and friends circle talk a lot of great things about him. As we were growing up, we always felt a surging pride for our father.
I feel the same pride to this day. During those early growing years, I think we shared the regular father-daughter relationship. He was a very strict disciplinarian, and a perfectionist. Time passed by... And it was not until I was in my college did I realise what a great person I had for a father. And, today, due to his noble deeds he has a huge fantail behind him wherever he went! And in his native place, Pattamadai, he is hero of worship!! He is a great source of inspiration for us. I owe my father a lot more than just my education. He taught me to be independent, he taught me to be receptive to opinions and views of others, he taught me the power of being positive, and more than anything- he taught us to be contented and happy, and at the same time, to be focused and achieve success with a steady mind, overcoming the barriers. He's 60 years old now, and he is still young at heart! And today, he is a great source of inspiration not just for me and my sister, but also for his sons(-in-law). And to his loving treasures – his grand children- they are the great fans of their grandfather!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajam, made great reading! I am very excited about your blog and waiting to read more! Keep them coming! You are the BEST!!
    Love and hugs,
    Sumana

    ReplyDelete